Apple has release a new tweaked version of iOS 5.0.1. Although the surprise was that it was only made available to those who were newly updating to iOS 5.0.1 while those who updated before could not use this tweaked version.
Although Apple has faced a lot of criticism since they released iOS 5.0, it has managed tofight back to some extend by making the Siri port legally possible with the release of the new iOS 5.0.1.
Now according to a new Apple support document, it seems that the new tweaked version may have been designed to address SIM card related errors. As this issue is only affecting a small number of iPhone 4S users, Apple decided for a re-release rather than going for the next update which is likely to be for iOS 5.1.
Last month in Apple’s discussion forums, a number of users complained about the problems of “No Service” and “No SIM Card Installed” issues on their iPhone 4S.
This is from Apple’s new support document:
In certain situations, iPhone 4S may have difficulty recognizing a micro-SIM card, resulting in the following behaviors:
– “Invalid SIM” or “No SIM Card installed” alert appears intermittently.
– Status bar displays “No Service” or “Searching” in a location with good network coverage.
Apple has addressed the recommended solution which requires backing up and restoring the iPhone 4S, this would be possible after iTunes pulls down the new build 9A406 and installs it on the user’s device. After the system has been restored, the backup can be used to restore content and settings.
1. Back up your user content and settings using iTunes or iCloud.
2. Restore your iPhone 4S using iTunes.
3. After the process is complete, restore your user content and settings from your backup.
4. To confirm that you’ve successfully restored, verify that the version is now iOS 5.0.1 (9A406) in Settings > General > About
However, there have been mixed user reports. Some say that it has addressed this problem while others claim that they has seen no improvement. The ultimate result is still not clear and whether the it only addresses some part of the root cause of there might be some other problem. We have to wait for more users to try it to make a specific conclusion.